Friday, April 1, 2011

What's in a Name?

I was reading in Isaiah on accident the other day. . . yes, on accident.  I was actually listening to my audio Bible and hit the wrong file.  When I realized (very quickly) that I was not listening to Romans (LOL), I decided that Isaiah was still Bible, so I figured I'd just listen to it instead.

All went well until I got to the fourth chapter and read this:


Isaiah 4

 1 In that day so few men will be left that seven women will fight for each man, saying, “Let us all marry you! We will provide our own food and clothing. Only let us take your name so we won’t be mocked as old maids.”



It goes on, but as soon as I heard this, I felt like God wanted me to go back and listen again. So I did, and paid close attention.

That's when I noticed that this concept represented a trend in modern Christianity.  That is not to say every Christian, or even most, but there is a mentality among some that resembles this verse.

The seven women could represent different denominational backgrounds or branches of faith or what ever; mostly it represents the diversity of people who fall into this category.

They say "Let us all marry you!"  They DON'T say "Marry us."  I'm not sure if the distinction is significant, but it seems to fit with the rest.

They also say that they "will provide [their] own food and clothing." -- meaning that they don't need his provision or input--possibly any form of relationship at all.

All they want out of the relationship is reputation and a legal title.

How many of us fall into the same trap?  How many of us are content being "Christians" and never seek to truly meet and KNOW our God?  How many of us want the benefits of being "saved," but don't want to have to rely on, or be responsible to God?

Again, I'm not saying everybody, but I think it's important to consider so that we don't fall into this trap.

So, have you hugged your God today?

God loves us and WANTS a real, day-to-day RELATIONSHIP with us.

Blessings to all.



1 comment:

  1. Holy cow, I read it and thought it is a modern trend in society exactly as it is. There are not enough men for the women who want to be married and the institution of marriage is being more and more dissed. I am going to go read this chapter and see what the contest of the scripture was because that really sounds like end times prophecy to me :)!!

    Btw, cool that you got something totaly different out of it - :)
    Becki

    ReplyDelete