Sunday, April 10, 2011

God Doesn't Speak English

If you ask most people: "What language does God speak?"  they will usually answer whatever their native language is.  Some, if they think a little harder, might say Hebrew, because the Jews are His chosen people.

Well, here's a thought.  What if the original Hebrew and Greek versions of the Bible were actually the first translation.

God doesn't speak English; He speaks "God."

Here's what happens:  God speaks a concept.  The Christian receives the concept, and his or her mind immediately explains (as best as can be) the concept to him or her.  Or, as often happens for me, God sends an image/vision. God is wise and knows us well.  So, the concept or image is one that will mean something to us in a way that is beneficial to the person who is to receive the word--whether that be another person, or the Christian receiving.

This can sometimes produce interesting results.  Sometimes we get carried away with our interpretations.  Sometimes we get excited about all a certain metaphor could mean and then stretch it beyond what was intended.

We are often referred to as "Earthen Vessels" or "Jars of Clay."  That description is good for this as well.  Imagine that God wants someone to know that He knows that they are thirsty and that He can provide for their needs.  He finds a willing vessel and imparts H and O atoms to the vessel.  The vessel understands that 2 H's and 1 O makes water and then water is in the vessel.  But then the vessel gets excited and agitates the water until, by the time the water is poured out, it has a lot of clay particles in it and doesn't look as clear or as clean as it started. It is still water (unless the vessel is more interested in making God's Word "fancy") and it still meets the need, it just has a funny taste to it.  Kind of like THIS metaphor.  :)  But, like I said, God is wise and He speaks through people whose particular "Flavor" of words is acceptable to the receivers.

I can go into a lot more detail on this topic, if anyone is interested.  Just let me know.  I may do it anyway.

Love in Christ, Blessings to all who hear and receive!

3 comments:

  1. Just giving credit: I heard the expression "God speaks 'God'" from Mark Rutland of Southeastern College.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have often thought this in not quite so clear a thought process. Love the clay in the water metaphore and I htink I will share that one with wendy (she would like that one too). I have also found that my "visions" or whatever you want to call them can usually only be intrepreded by me. God uses images and things that are significant to me and although it usually vastly helps me to share them with trusted friends like you Deb and Wendy ultimatly I am the one that puts it all together. :)
    Good post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks, Becki, that means a lot to me.

    ReplyDelete