Thursday, March 31, 2011

Eye Exam Revisited

Alright, I went to the eye doctor and found out that I don't see as well as I thought I did.  So, I ordered new glasses and when they came in, I went to get them.

wow.

The difference in prescription for the lens for my left eye is so drastic that it has distorted my vision.  The tech that fitted the glasses for me warned me that the change would likely cause some disorientation for a little while.  He was right.  I have had a constant feeling of near dizziness and depth perception "strangeness."  I am finally getting used to the change after nearly a week, but it was very strange there for a while.

Here's the thing: once again there is a parallel.  I mentioned before that we can easily think that we "see" things the way we should spiritually, but when we are confronted (by God's Word or His people) we find that we do not "see" as well as we thought.  Well, it is also true that when we begin to see things God's way again, the difference can be disorienting.  It is important to realize that God does not see things the way the world does.  So, perceptions will differ.  "Objects in mirror may be closer than they appear."

So if you find that you have recently discovered something new about God, don't be discouraged if it feels weird for a little while.  As with my eyes, your mind will adjust to the difference and you will eventually become much more comfortable with it.  In the end you have two choices:  you can avoid the temporary discomfort and settle for unclear vision, or you can accept a short adjustment period and see more clearly the things, ways, and character of God.

The choice is ours, and it is a daily one.

P.S.  Don't be too surprised if God's way of seeing things is different.  After all, we call gold a precious metal; God calls it pavement.  Just sayin'.  :)

God Bless you all!

1 comment: