Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Okay. . . so what does that have to do with. . . ?

So I was thinking again about when Jesus told his disciples that certain kinds of spirits can only be cast out by prayer and fasting.  And, I think I have a pretty good idea why fasting is important for us--as a lifestyle and self-discipline, but. . . .

What does it have to do with having authority over a spirit?

I have a thought about that.  This is only my current working theory, so I am open to constructive criticism.

If you are hungry, what do you do?  You eat. Right?
If you are thirsty, what do you do?  You drink.

These are things that are real and we respond without debate or discussion.  We don't stop and ask ourselves (as a rule) "Am I really hungry?" or "Am I really thirsty?"  We have a need, desire, or urge and we meet that impulse in a real and tangible way.  It is REAL to us.

I have heard this phrase many times in the past few years and it bears repeating: "You cannot consistently act in a manner that is contrary to what you believe."  After a while, you either act differently or you believe differently.

So, if you are fasting and you get hungry. . . you want to eat.  Your body tells you that you need  to eat.  You choose not to eat.  You do this because it is supposed to be good for you spiritually.  It is supposed to help you get closer to God.  It is supposed to help you get in touch with God's authority in matters of spiritual conflict.  After a day of fasting.  You either believe that all of this is true, or you don't do it again, because. . . . fasting is NOT fun.

"Lord, I believe; help my unbelief."

I believe that you can fast with enough faith to do it once, and that by continuing to do so, it invites God to grow your faith.  Eventually, you believe that the spiritual things are as real as the physical things (like hunger and thirst).  Until we reach this point of realization, the physical evidence in front of us is too real to be overcome by the spiritual truth that we think we believe in.

Again, these are my first thoughts on the topic.  Feel free to comment.

God bless.

1 comment: