Thursday, April 14, 2011

Sometimes It's Time to Be Quiet

I remember (several years ago) when a group of my friends from church were all invited to go to a meeting for a bunch of pastors who look to our pastor.  It was quite an honor and I was very excited to go.

I had only just begun to recognize when I was actually hearing God, so I wasn't very confident in it.  I was looking forward to hearing all of these pastors talking to each other about GOD.

and.  I was hoping to hear God too.

So.  We got to the meeting and the pastors were very friendly and informal.  They set up chairs in a circle and just started sharing with each other about what God was doing in their lives and churches.  Many of the pastors had included members of their churches as well, so it was a decent sized crowd.  The floor was open, so anyone who had something to share was invited to do so.

After a short while, as I listened to the pastors share, I heard them ask questions about what God was doing and why.  I was shocked when I realized that I KNEW what God was doing and why.  There I was, a nineteen-ish year old kid,  in this group of PASTORS (I italicized the word in my head at the time, so I'm doing it here too), and I was hearing God answer their questions.  And I knew, with CERTAINTY, that it really was God.  I was so excited that I was getting ready to raise my hand to share (a miracle in itself at the time) when I heard God say "Wait."  Okay.  How long?

God didn't say.

"When do I get to tell them?"

"You don't," God stated.

". . .what?"

"You. Don't."

"You mean I'm supposed to keep listening to all of this stuff You're saying and I'm just supposed to keep quiet?"  I was having a hard time with this.

"Yes." and that was all God said on that topic.

It wasn't easy, but through that silence, I kept hearing more and more of what God was saying and didn't have to try to translate it, or say it just right.

I actually learned more about speaking for God by being silent than I had on what few occasions I had spoken before.

So, for those of you who are learning to hear and speak for God:  Sometimes the word from God is "Hush."

Don't worry.  It's just as good.

Be blessed and press on.

1 comment:

  1. It amuses me that I had to learn to share what God told me to the "right" person. LOL!! Course to be fair, God only tells me about others when it is something very important or potentianly dangerous. :)
    B

    ReplyDelete