Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Eye Exam

Well, it's been about 5 years since my last eye exam.  So, I decided that since my night time vision is not so great lately, and since my glasses seem to be slowly disintegrating, it was probably time to get my eyes checked.

The thing is that I thought my vision might be a little off, but when I got to the exam, I found that my left eye was much worse.  It had developed a noticeable astigmatism.  I didn't realized how bad my vision was until I saw what it was supposed to be.

As I thought about this, I realized that this is part of the reason that God tells us that we are not to "forsake the fellowship of the brethren."  I thought I was doing pretty well, all things considered, but when I asked about what I was seeing, I found that it was a little off.  The same can happen with Christians who don't spend time with other believers: they can start to feel like they are "doing all right," but in truth, they are a little off.  We can get caught up on tangents and lose sight (pun intended) of what really matters if we don't check ourselves first with the Word of God, and then with the people of God.

Self-sufficiency is good; we are not supposed to be needy, or codependent people. But one of the first things God said about mankind was this: "It is not good for man to be alone."

1 comment:

  1. Yea, I have had a lot of simular (but totaly different methphores for this one)!! The problem is distance, time, and money. One is bad enough to have to overcome but still doable, two is VERY difficult and requires a LOT of effort, all three means you are isolated most of the time and toss in a physical inability to get around much and wa-la you begin to feel like you are living in a vacumm without other who help to keep you centered. (At least that is the way it typically works for me) The Grace and Mercy is that God is right there with us, but we were not created to stand alone so it is never easy and sometimes it feels like a kind of walking death. The best option is ALWAYS iron sharping iron, but sometimes God puts us aside for a short while to teach us, and sometimes life just is what it is and we just have to keep walking and doing what we are supposed to even when we no longer know why we do it. We do it, because ultimaly, no matter how lonely or empty life is when we are isolated from others, without God, there is no point in anything! He is the baseline on which all other things are measured.

    Life is sometimes really good and it is all because of God's Grace and Mercy and sometimes life is really bad, but there is still Grace and Mercy and without God, the bad would be unberable.

    Not really sure where that is going, just going I think LOL!!

    ReplyDelete