Sunday, October 6, 2013

The Stuff Dreams Are Made of. . .

So I want to write.

I want to write fiction, but I want it to be something that is meaningful. I want it to matter.
The problem is that I have been finding myself drawn more and more toward mainstream fantasy and science fiction--the worlds I've been working on have been detailed and exciting, but they ultimately lead in the same direction as 99% of the other stuff that's already out there, and I want my work to point back to God, or, at least to point in a direction that will eventually lead to God.

So I found myself frustrated, and frustration lead to writer's block, and that lead to an emotional funk that left me feeling almost depressed every time I thought about writing. . .

So, for a while, I stopped trying.



Then, one day, I was listening to a podcast by professional writers about being a writer (WritingExcuses.com), and the authors mentioned something that stopped me in my tracks. I was sitting at my computer listening, and they said that they had to be careful what they were reading while they were working on a project (current book) because they tended to pick up the voice/tone/style of the books they were reading and start to write like that, and that was often not good if what they were reading was too different from what they were trying to write.

And it hit me.

I spend a GREAT deal of time listening to audiobooks while I'm at work. I generally listen to Science Fiction or Fantasy novels.

And I realized that the reason my own writing was leaning that direction was because that's what I was listening to; that's what I was reading.

Then God stepped in. (I know, right?)

He said, "If you will read My Word, I will give you your dreams."

Here's the thing: I have always seen my stories as dreams to be written down and given substance. So this was a HUGE word to hear.

My first nagging doubt was that I would start writing like the Bible, but I really had to give God more credit than that.

So, for the next week, I didn't read or listen to anything but the Bible.

By the second day I had scenes playing out in my mind about the biggest project I hope to accomplish, a multinovel allegory.

I couldn't really put the characters together before. It was like I could see them in jumpy clips of an old silent film. I knew basically what was going on, but the depth was missing--the details were lacking.
Now, it's coming together. I'm still in the prewriting stage of this project, and I have some smaller projects to work on as well, but I'm excited again.

The series is tentatively named The Invisible Kingdom. I'll let you know what happens as I go. This is a long-term project--especially as I have a full-time job and a family that comes before my writing, but my wife is on board and supportive, and we are working toward a plan for doing this.

So, I'll keep moving forward, and I'll keep in the Word better than I have been being, and I'll trust God to give me my dreams.

What dreams do you have? Maybe you can find them where I did?

God bless!
BG

3 comments:

  1. Glad God worked it out for you. We all are facing a battle somewhere I guess. From the most perfect appearing christian to the farthermost backslider. I don't think the battles will ever end as long as we walk the earth. We just have to put our heads down, brace ourselves, face the fury, and stand our ground. Sometimes we are fortunate to have others who stand with us and some of us have to stand alone, but through it all God's promise holds our back and if we accept it, provides the helmet, the shield, the boots, the breastplate, and the sword. Some are called to defend and some are called to take the front lines, but ALL are called to stand in the place where God has put you and do the job God has called, created, and provided for you to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So proud of you Benjamin. What you wrote above sounded SO familiar to me and you may know why. Not that I ever attempted a project such as the one you are doing now but the method that God is choosing to communicate with you. I love you dearly and encourage you to move forward. Keep in mind that yes, the devil will try to stop you, if he leaves you alone then you are doing something wrong but he will not be able to stop you. Can't wait to see how it all turns out. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did wonder why you hadn't been sharing anything about your writing lately. So glad God has stepped in! Looking forward to hearing more :D

    ReplyDelete