Thursday, December 4, 2008

What People Will Trust. . .

A couple of years ago I was on my way to work. It was a 45 minute drive one-way but my employers were kind enough to provide me with a company vehicle. On one particular day, I happened to be thinking about the fact that it was a company vehicle and that if something were to happen while I was driving, it wouldn't be just me that would have to deal with the consequences. When I realized that I was thinking up "worst-case scenarios," I stopped and reminded myself that I hadn't been in an accident yet and not to "borrow trouble."
As soon as I thought the words "hadn't had an accident yet," I immediately "heard" half the people I knew saying "knock on wood." (It seems like people - yes, even Christians - are always saying stuff like that when you try to speak positively about your life. As if, if you aren't careful, you'll jinx yourself. *yech*) But, before I could do more than start to think how dumb the expression "knock on wood"is, I saw, in my mind's eye, a large beam of dark, rough and splintery wood. I still had the echo of "knock on wood" in my mind and I reached up to do it. As I did, the image of the beam "zoomed out" and I saw that the beam was the vertical beam of a cross. And as I looked, I saw Jesus' thorn pierced face turn and look at me, with eyes so sad and ironic, and he said:
"It's funny what people will trust, isn't it?"

Some trust in chariots, and some in horses: but we will remember the name of the LORD our God. Psalm 20:7

1 comment:

  1. OK I will NEVER think of that phrase again without that image in my head!
    Becki

    ReplyDelete